Julia Salata, a Junior at Canton High School, completed a busy summer of wrestling by winning a national title at the USA Wrestling Junior Freestyle Nationals in Fargo, North Dakota on July 21.
After completing her sophomore wrestling season at Canton High School, where she is the only female member of the wrestling team, Julia shifts gears to compete in women's national events. After steady progress, including a fourth place finish at the Canada Cup tournament, an international event held in Guelph, Ontario on July 4, Julia set her sights on winning "Fargo", which is THE national event on the junior amateur wrestling calendar.
Upon arriving to Fargo at roughly 135 pounds, Julia determined that at her relatively young age and experience level compared to some of the participants in the 139 pound class - she just completed her second year of competitive wrestling - her chances at a championship were better moving up a weight class to 146 pounds, a risky proposition due to the fact that she would be giving up as much as 10 pounds to most of her opponents. Confident with the decision, however, Julia dominated her pool, losing only one period in the freestyle scoring format, and then did not surrender a point in her championship match.
Her road to the Championship (a "fall" is a pin of her opponent):
- Match #1 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Kaylee Carr (Washington) Fall 1:57
- Match #2 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Andrianna Rivas (Texas) TF 7-0,6-0
- Match #3 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Chelsea Taylor (Nebraska) Fall 1:13
- Match #4 Julia Salata (Michigan) received a bye.
- Match #5 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Francisca Harriss (California) Fall 0:20
- Match #6 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Mary Westman (New York) Dec 2-6,4-3,7-1
- Match #7 Julia Salata (Michigan) over Brittany Goebel (Illinois) Dec 1-0, 2-0
Julia joined six other Michigan women wrestlers in achieving All-American status, including Goodrich's CC Webber, who won her second consecutive Fargo Nationals Championship:
- 95lbs - Kristi Garr - 7th
- 109lbs - CC Weber - 1st
- 132lbs - Cassie Laslo - 8th
- 146lbs - Julia Salata - 1st
- 165lbs - Jennifer Spitza - 4th
- 165lbs - Stephanie Tucker - 7th
- 190lbs - Kayla Orr - 7th
To see video of Julia's Championship match, click here.
To see Julia's post-match interview, click here.